I usually spend so much time planning and creating menus that I invariably forget about desserts, and I am huge dessert fan too. Desserts always end up being an afterthought at dinners and most gatherings but there is always something to create. When all else fails, put some cheese, dates, figs, prunes, fruits, and chocolate on a plate. It works too.
This is one of those desserts you whip up in no time with no fuss. Always keep some frozen organic berries around for these occasions. My pantry is never without Cup4Cup gluten-free flour by French Laundry, butter from Fraser Valley, and organic brown sugar. And of course because I am in the spice trade I will always have the freshest spices in glass jars.
Gluten-Free Berry Crumble
Special tools: 12 small mason jars and a large baking pan
For the filling
6 cups frozen organic mixed berries
1 cup brown sugar
1 pinch salt
1 lemon, juiced
For the topping
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 vanilla bean
- In a large bowl, toss the filling ingredients together with the berries and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl mix the butter and sugar (by hand) add the flour and baking powder and mix to a course breadcrumbs texture. Slit the vanilla bean, scrape the seeds out and add to the topping mixture, mix well.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Divide the filling into 12 equal parts and fill the 12 jars.
- Divide the topping into 12 equal parts and top each berry cup.
- Place all the jars into the baking pan and half fill the pan with cold water. Bake for 20 minutes until the berries are bubbling and the topping is golden crunchy.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream, or a blob of devonshire cream.
Until next time keep up with my local community and food travels on instagram and twitter @glutenfreesam and for even more stories check out www.theprovince.com